Kiteera is based in North-Central Florida. You can contact her at kiteeratribal@gmail.com.

Photos of Kiteera by David Love Photography are owned by Kiteera.

May 19, 2017

May 17, 2017

Please reload

Recent Posts

Huntress in the Bayou

July 23, 2019

1/1
Please reload

Featured Posts

Huntress in the Bayou

July 23, 2019

(Photo by David Love Photography)

 

 Use code KITEERA for a discount on Hunt: Showdown at shop.crytek.com (affiliate link in URL and banner)

 

 

In anticipation of their release in the game Hunt: Showdown, I've been working on a female hunter cosplay since the end of May! Thanks to Crytek, I had a sneak peek at some of the tier 3 hunter designs, and chose one to bring to life. 

 

My favorite aspect of working on a cosplay is weathering/distressing. Seeing how dirty and muddy hunters in this game can get, I was more than a little excited to get this ball rolling. 

 

The very first thing I did was consider materials for the largest, and to me, the most important part: The hooded cloak. I wasn't happy with any of the fabrics I found in stores, so I contacted Cindy with Spotted Pony Traders and had a look at their genuine deerskin leather. I picked out three of the largest hides I could find, took them home, and stared at them in awe before I got to work. 

 

 

When dealing with expensive materials, I always make muslin mock-ups.

 

 

After I was happy with the shape, it was time... to cut the leather.

 

 

Oh dang! It's starting to look like a thing!

 

 

Taking shape! This was before I tweaked the hood a bit.

 

For making the bottom look nice and torn up, I just took scissors to it and cut it all to hell!

 

 

Look at that TEXTURE!

 

I wasn't liking how the hood sat, so I tweaked it.

 

 

Initial round of weathering! It looks like a hot mess here. The acrylic paint looks... well, bad. However, I wanted to start with a good amount on there. After letting the paint dry, I ran the leather through the washing machine (gentle cycle) several times, at times adding a bit more paint here and there and letting it dry before washing it again.

 

 The result was more than satisfactory.

 

Whoa dang.

 

How did I apply all the paint? Paper towels. I bunched one up, dipped it lightly into the paint, patted excess paint off, then applied! I used new paper towels as needed when the previous one got too soggy.

 

I didn't have luck finding plain, dark brown pants that I liked. So, I bought blue jeans and dyed them. First I used Rit color remover (it will not remove all color from jeans FYI). It lightened them up enough before I put them into a dark brown dye bath.

 

 

 

 Ta-daaa!

 

Time for belt pieces!

 

This is flimsy, and sad. Must fix!

 

I added 2mm craft foam to the inside to really give it shape.

 

Much better!

 

 

 

For the belts, I bought a few. I had to rip parts from one belt to use for another, and had to get a little creative for some bits.

 

 

For parts that I needed to paint gold, I just used a gold leafing pen.

 

 

 

 

Here's the little bit that wraps around the waist, just above the pants. I just used a fairly sturdy dark brown fabric.

 

Little more weathering! I used slightly watered down acrylic paint and spritzed it on.

 

 

 

Boots!

I bought these from Boot Barn, in distressed brown.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I weathered the pants with the paper towel method. I added a little bit of paint at a time, and layered on more as I saw fit. With the leather, I went fairly heavy with the paint initially since I put it through the washing machine after, to give that faded look.

 

 

 

I got the revolver prop from a shop called shootandscoot on Etsy (you can also visit their site at http://www.shootandscoot.co.uk). Here's how it looked when it arrived.

 

Initial painting done.

 

BOOM. Weathering.